CEI is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government,
The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) is a non-profit public policy organization dedicated to reforming America’s unaccountable regulatory state. We develop and advocate policies to eliminate harmful bureaucratic controls so people can live in a freer, healthier, and more prosperous nation. We believe economic freedom is essential to entrepreneurship, innovation, and prosperity. CEI pursues a full-service approach to advancing public policy, which includes original research, communications campaigns, direct advocacy with policymakers, and litigation.
The Center for Advancing Capitalism is a project of the Competitive Enterprise Institute focused on making the moral and practical case for a market economy, emphasizing the relationship between economic and political freedom. CEI’s founder Fred L. Smith, Jr. established the Center in 2013 after serving as CEI’s president for nearly thirty years.
About the Role
The Competitive Enterprise Institute seeks a policy analyst for a one-year fellowship to focus on economic policy issues with a specific emphasis on finance and investing. This includes writing blog posts and op-eds, comment letters on regulatory proposals, and research papers. It also includes participating in public events and serving as a source for news media coverage of financial regulation, corporate governance, property rights, and topics under the jurisdiction of government agencies like the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Candidates should expect to build and maintain relationships with public officials and allies, communicate CEI’s policy and legislative agenda, and execute internal communications to keep CEI staff aware of legislative and policy developments. This position is most suitable for a recent college graduate with a background in economics, political science, or public policy or someone with 1-3 years of experience writing on economic and regulatory topics. A consistent free-market outlook with strong analytical and writing skills is essential.
Culture matters; CEI is a feisty think tank that embraces a forward-thinking and entrepreneurial approach to policy change. Policy analysts are expected to be self-starters, strategic, and creative. Members of our team operate with an emphasis on personal responsibility, accountability to one another, and to those in other departments at CEI. They work hard, have a good sense of humor, and are intensely dedicated to representing CEI’s principles of individual liberty, free enterprise, and limited government.
Preference will be given to candidates who will be able to work out of CEI’s downtown Washington, D.C. office, but the hiring manager will consider remote work arrangements for exceptional candidates. The fellowship could become a long-term position, depending on future funding.
- Perform research on finance, investing, and economic regulation
- Write blog posts and op-eds and collaborate with colleagues on in-depth studies
- Respond quickly to news events in a fast-paced media cycle
- Track legislation, follow finance and investing news, and brief other team members as needed
- Attend and report back on policy-related events
- Coordinate efforts between the Center for Advancing Capitalism and CEI’s media, events, and fundraising departments
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field such as economics, political science, or public policy is typical, atypical applicants encouraged;
- If a recent graduate, internship or summer program experience related to politics and public policy;
- If a professional, 1-3 years of research and writing experience or equivalent experience with research and analysis;
- Strong writing, communications, and organizational skills;
- Ability to be self-directed; disciplined with timelines and deadlines;
- Capacity to move between a focus on long-term projects and the demands of breaking news events;
- Interest in presenting, discussing, and debating policy topics in public forums.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position;
- Two short writing samples (no more than 3 pages each);
- Two or more academic, professional, or personal references.
This position has a salary range of $48,000-$58,000, commensurate with candidate’s experience.
Applications should be submitted to:
Competitive Enterprise Institute