PhRMA President Billy Tauzin To Keynote CEI Annual Dinner
Washington, D.C., May 9, 2005—In his first address to a non-healthcare industry audience since taking the top drug industry post in January, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) president and CEO Billy Tauzin will deliver the keynote address at the Competitive Enterprise Institute’s annual dinner on May 11.
Mr. Tauzin, a former member of Congress from Louisiana, will address how patients benefit by keeping America’s research-based biopharmaceutical sector strong, competitive and responsive to the free market.
“Advances in pharmaceutical health care have radically improved the quality of life of millions of Americans,” said CEI President Fred L. Smith, Jr. “Yet many would-be reformers want to put the drug industry under a radical new regulatory regime.”
· Key note address by PhRMA President and CEO Billy Tauzin
· Presentation of Julian L. Simon Award to Barun Mitra of the Liberty Institute (New Delhi, India) for his efforts to combat poverty in India
· Warren T. Brookes address by Ron Bailey of Reason
· Master of Ceremonies James K. Glassman, co-founder and host of Tech Central Station
· Remarks by CEI founder and president, Fred L. Smith, Jr.
WHO: Keynote speaker: PhRMA President and CEO, former Congressman W.J. “Billy” Tauzin of Louisiana
WHAT: Annual CEI Dinner & Reception: "Mardi Gras in May”
WHEN: Wednesday, May 11, 2005, 7 p.m. EDT
WHERE: The Capital Hilton Hotel, Washington, D.C.
FOR MEDIA: To cover the event, contact Christine Hall, 202.331.2258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.