International Experts Voice Concerns About International Pricing Index and Foreign Reference Pricing Proposals for Prescription Drugs
Competitive Enterprise Institute Brings Together International Policy Experts and Patient Advocates for Unique Conversation About Real Costs of IPI Proposals
To address the cost of prescription medicines, the Trump administration and congressional leaders have proposed instituting international reference pricing policies, like the International Pricing Index (IPI), that would set the prices of certain drugs in Medicare based on the prices of those drugs in other countries. Policy experts here in the U.S. have expressed concerns that this proposal would have unintended consequences that could slow the pace of innovation, affect American jobs, and create significant access restrictions that patients in other countries face.
The Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI) will host a unique conversation with leading voices from the IPI reference countries included in the proposals. International policy experts and patient advocates will provide their perspective on the potential impact of IPI based on real world experience with nationalized healthcare systems.
WHAT: The Impact of Prescription Drug Price Controls: International Policy and Patient Perspectives
WHEN: Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 12:00pm-1:30pm ET
WHO: The event will include opening remarks followed by two panel discussions. The first panel will feature international policy experts; the second panel will feature international patient advocates. The full list of speakers follows:
- Kent Lassman, President & CEO, Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Patrick Hedger, Research Fellow, Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Barbara Kolm, Director and Founder, Austrian Economic Center
- Wolfgang Müller, Executive Director, Institute for Economic Freedom (Germany)
- Tim Andrews, Executive Director, Taxpayers Protection Alliance and Founder, Australian Taxpayers Protection Alliance
- Andrew Spiegel, Founder and Executive Director, Global Colon Cancer Association
- Jolanta Bilinska, Founder, World Patients Alliance and Director of Development, Dr. K. Jonscher City Medical Centre
- John Adams, Chair, Best Medicines Coalition and CEO, Canadian PKU and Allied Disorders
The National Press Club
529 14th Street NW, 13th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20045
RSVP: REGISTER HERE
Note for media: Speakers will be available for interviews following the event.