Al Gore, the lobbyist
In a letter dated January 26th, 2009 Al Gore’s company Generation Investment Management sent a coalition letter along with other institutional investors representing $1.7 trillion in assets to Senate Majority leader Harry Reid. The letter asked for:
1) longer-term economic incentives including extending the Production Tax Credit (PTC) for five years or more,
2) funding for energy efficiency programs – such as retrofitting buildings,
3) federal funds to flow to states that allow utilities to treat energy efficiency comparable to new supply; states that adopt energy efficiency resources standards to achieve energy savings goals; or, states that adopt strong building codes to encourage energy savings, and
4) that part of the funding in the stimulus package should be directed toward modernizing and improving the electric grid system.
Today, two days later, Al Gore, The Climate Protector, testified to the Senate Foreign relations Committee of the need for:
1) renewable tax credits and “small” grants for wind power and solar,
2) energy efficiency and conservation,
3) decoupling (giving utility companies a guaranteed source of revenues and Gore’s declared “single most important measure”), and
4) the need for a new electric grid.
He also frequently mentioned solar energy (an extremely expensive source of energy), deforestation (big area of carbon trading) and soil carbon credits (they need the farm votes).
Of course, Chairman Gore punctuated these requests by the possibility of every earthly catastrophe befalling us if we don’t grant him his requests.